Total Joint Arthroplasty
What is Total Joint Arthroplasty?
Arthoplasty is the reconstruction or replacement of a joint in order to restore range of motion and relieve pain. Treasure Valley Hospital physicians commonly perform this type of surgery on knees, hips, shoulders and ankles.
What is the recovery time for arthroplasty surgery?
Patients who undergo arthroplasty surgery at Treasure Valley Hospital typically go home the same day or day after their procedure. They are given pain medication, antibiotics, and begin their physical therapy while still in the hospital. Physical therapy will continue for several weeks, and it could take just as long to be able to resume light daily activities.
How do I prepare for this type of surgery?
- Your doctor or pre-admission nurse may tell you to stop taking certain medications, vitamins and dietary supplements prior to your surgery.
- Do not eat anything after midnight the day before surgery.
- Shower or bathe the morning of your surgery according to directions given at your pre-admission appointment.
- Do not shave the surgical area prior to arriving at the hospital for your procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and slip-on shoes. If you are having shoulder surgery, bring an extra-large old t-shirt that can be cut up the side, allowing your arm to pass through.
- Do not wear makeup, perfume/aftershave, lotion, or deodorant.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Leave all valuables at home.
- If you wear contact lenses, bring an appropriate storage container for them and a pair of glasses to use pre- and post-surgery.
- Bring these supplies if they apply to you:
- Rescue Inhaler
- Dental Device
- Arrange ahead of time for a family member or friend to drive you home from the hospital after surgery.
What Diagnoses are Treated with Total Joint Arthroplasty?
Total joint arthroplasty is usually recommended by doctors to patients suffering conditions that cause them to experience severe joint pain and disability. Injuries or conditions, like arthritis, that cause breaking of the cartilage at the ends of the bones usually causes severe joint pain. Doctors will initially recommend nonsurgical treatments like taking medications or undergoing physical therapy. However, if these options do not relieve pain, the doctor may recommend Total Joint Arthroplasty.
What Happens During the Total Joint Arthroplasty Treatment?
It usually takes hours for a doctors to finish a Total Joint Arthroplasty surgery. During the surgery, metallic, plastic or ceramic prosthetic parts are used to replace the damaged cartilage and bone that were removed from the joint.
Why Choose TVH for Total Joint Arthroplasty?
Treasure Valley Hospital (TVH) is Idaho’s #1 physician-owned hospital due to its high-quality patient care and low cost. Our focus is on caring for the patient as an individual rather than just a procedure. Treasure Valley Hospital is dedicated to giving our patients the best care and treating them like guests. One of the specialties of our surgical team is performing a successful Total Joint Arthroplasty.
This information is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Contact treasure Valley Hospital in Boise for detailed information.