What is arthroplasty?
Arthroplasty is the reconstruction or replacement of a joint in order to restore range of motion and relieve pain. Treasure Valley Hospital physicians commonly perform this type of surgery on knees, hips, shoulders and ankles.
Knee arthroplasty could mean a total or partial replacement or just a resurfacing of the existing knee joint. Your doctor may recommend having this surgery if you have severe knee pain or stiffness which prevents you from engaging in everyday activities or if you experience chronic inflammation of the knee even after a period of rest and medication.
If you are having part or all of a knee joint replaced, the surgery usually lasts from 1 to 3 hours. The anesthesia you receive may be general, spinal or epidural.
What Diagnosis is Treated with Total Knee Arthroplasty?
Total knee arthroplasty, or the surgical replacement of the entire knee joint, is performed when severe knee osteoarthritis fails to improve using non-surgical treatments. These treatments can include anti-inflammatory pain relief medications, knee injections, or modifying activity of the painful knee.
What Happens During the Total Knee Arthroplasty Procedure?
After receiving anesthesia and antibiotics through an IV line, your knee will be placed in a supported, bent position to give the surgeon optimal access during the two-hour surgery. Once he or she makes a 7-8 inch incision, the surgeon slides the kneecap out of the way and removes any damaged areas of the joint. Next, the surgeon installs the artificial joint and moves the knee around to test for proper functioning before closing the incision.
What is the recovery time for knee arthroplasty surgery?
Patients who undergo knee arthroplasty surgery at Treasure Valley Hospital typically go home one or two days after their procedure. They are given pain medication, antibiotics, and begin their physical therapy while still in the hospital. Physical therapy will continue for several weeks, and it could take just as long to be able to resume light daily activities.
Why Choose TVH for Total Knee Arthroplasty?
At Treasure Valley Hospital, we focus on certain types of surgery which helps keep our overhead low. We believe in passing that savings on to our patients.
Since 1996, we have delivered a consistent blend of outstanding clinical quality, low-cost procedures, professional integrity, and service excellence. We are able to keep our nurse-to-patient ratio very low so that from the initial consult to the final follow-up visit, patients are receiving high-quality, personalized care. This tradition continues today as our patients continue to get the results they want from trusted healthcare providers using proven medical interventions.
How do I prepare for this type of surgery?
- Your doctor or pre-admission nurse may tell you to stop taking certain medications, vitamins and dietary supplements prior to your surgery.
- Do not eat anything after midnight the day before surgery.
- Shower or bathe the morning of your surgery according to directions given at your pre-admission appointment.
- Do not shave the surgical area prior to arriving at the hospital for your procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and slip-on shoes.
- Do not wear makeup, perfume/aftershave, lotion, or deodorant.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Leave all valuables at home.
- If you wear contact lenses, bring an appropriate storage container for them and a pair of glasses to use pre- and post-surgery.
- Bring these supplies if they apply to you: insulin, rescue inhaler, CPAP, or dental device.
- Arrange ahead of time for a family member or friend to drive you home from the hospital after surgery.
How Much Is Your Surgery?
Treasure Valley Hospital is a Boise hospital designed to be efficent and provide high quality health care at the best possible price. We believe our patients deserve to know about how much their procedure will cost. This philosophy allows patients to plan for their health care costs. The TVH Cost Calculator is just another way of caring for patients even before their treatment.Cost Calculator