What is a Breast Biopsy?
A breast biopsy is a procedure where tissue samples are removed from a suspicious area. A biopsy is needed in many cases to make an accurate diagnosis. Your doctor may order a biopsy for various reasons, the most common being:
- A suspicious lump in the breast
- An area of concern resulting from a mammogram or ultrasound
- Unusual physical changes in the breast
What Diagnoses are Treated with a Breast Biopsy?
While a breast biopsy may be scary, research has found that over 80% of women who have a biopsy do not have cancer. Those odds can be comforting in a time of uncertainty. A diagnosis from a breast biopsy may take a few days to over a week. Here are some of the most probable results:
- Benign breast condition - This is a noncancerous condition that can include cysts, fibroadenoma, and calcifications. Benign breast conditions are quite common in women and most do not pose any additional breast cancer risk. Follow-up for some of these conditions may include more frequent testing, like ultrasounds, as a precaution.
- Breast Cancer - The breast biopsy will reveal if cancer cells are present, along with much more detail to begin building a treatment plan.
How Do You Prepare for a Breast Biopsy?
- Wear a tight-fitting bra, a sports bra may be best. This can decrease swelling and pain after the procedure is completed.
- Wash breasts and underarms. Do not wear deodorant or lotions.
- Wear clothing that is loose-fitting and easy to take on and off.
- Bring a list of medications you are currently taking.
- Arrive on time to avoid added stress.
- Follow all instructions given to you by the nurse at your Pre-Admission Testing visit.
What is the Recovery Time for a Breast Biopsy?
- After the biopsy, you may feel tenderness and swelling for around a week or so.
- Over-the-counter pain medications should be used to manage any pain.
- There may be a dressing or even stitches over the site of the biopsy. The stitches may dissolve over time or will need to be removed at a follow-up appointment. Your doctor will advise you on the best course of action to take.
Why Choose Treasure Valley Hospital for A Breast Biopsy?
If you need a breast biopsy, please contact your physician to schedule an appointment. To find out if your physician has privileges with Treasure Valley Hospital, ask them or scroll to the practicing physicians' section of our General Surgery page.
While a breast biopsy may seem intimidating or scary, your physician and the staff at Treasure Valley Hospital will make you feel comfortable the moment you walk in the door. Treasure Valley Hospital is located in Boise, Idaho, and is rated as Idaho’s #1 physician-owned hospital. We have some of the top surgeons in Idaho who are experienced and well versed in the latest medical/surgical techniques. Our surgical and clinical staff specialize in caring for orthopedic, ENT, and neurosurgical patients. Our goal is to provide high-quality, low-cost personalized care to every one of our patients. Learn more about our Core Values by visiting the About Us page.
This information is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor.